Centro Estudios Avanzados del Caribe — Viejo San Juan — Puerto Rico Historic Buildings Drawings Society

Centro Estudios Avanzados del Caribe

Seminario Conciliar de San Ildefonso

Conciliar seminar of San Ildefonso (1832)
(Center for Advanced Studies of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean)

Cristo 52 Street
San Juan, Puerto Rico

The original building was completed in the year of 1832 by the special commitment of the first Puerto Rican Bishop, Fray Juan Alejo de Arizmendi, and with financial support from the income obtained from the Municipal Theatre (today Tapia Theatre). In the established seminar, studied not only young people with vocation to priesthood, but also poor and wealthy student, which gave extraordinary prestige to Puerto Rico. There were formed among others: Alejandro Tapia and Rivera, Román Baldorioty de Castro, José Julián Acosta, Federico Asenjo, José. A. Daubón, Calixto Romero, father José María Nazario, Tulio Larrinaga, Rafael's the Valley Atiles, Cayetano Coll and Toste, José Celso Barbosa, Rafael W. Ramírez and many others. Here also began its formation most of our priests and prelates of the 19th century and early 20th century; among them, the cardinal Luis Aponte Martinez and the bishops Monsignor Rafael Grovas, Msgr. Juan Frémiot Torres Oliver and Msgr. Juan de Dios Lopez de Victoria.

This Seminar-School also wrote a glorious page in the initiation and development of scientific studies in Puerto Rico. It was here that in the 1843, the first laboratory of physics and chemistry was installed, donated by father Rufo Manuel Fernández, Galician educator with whom we have a great debt of gratitude.

The school became an important center of public education when the Queen Isabel Segunda approved the incorporation of the departments of physics, chemistry, literature, grammar, rhetoric, arithmetic, geometry, logic, flat, cosmography, metaphysics, kinds of French and English. These chairs were paid for by the Real Sociedad Económica de Amigos del País.

The San Ildefonso Seminar-School constituted, therefore, a cornerstone in the development of public education in Puerto Rico, under the teaching tradition of the Catholic Church. In 1900, Bishop Jaime Blenk closed the seminar. The unoccupied building hosted for a few years the School of San Pablo dedicated to the teaching of children. In 1915, the Bishop Guillermo Jones returned the building to its original destination, by placing it under the direction of the Vincentian fathers. This situation lasted until 1948, in which Bishop Jaime Davis moved the seminary to Aibonito. The old building was for many years home to the school of Saint Thomas of Aquino and convent of Dominican religious.

In 1972, given the ruinous state of the structure the building was closed. In 1984, and with the approval of Bishop Luis Aponte Martínez, Cardinal Arzobispo of San Juan, established the Commission for the restoration of the building of the seminar, chaired by Dr. Ricardo E. Alegría, who led the restoration works. The building project was completed in 1986.

Since then, through agreement with Bishop Luis Aponte Martinez, this historic building houses the headquarters of the Center for advanced studies of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean, where the original educational and cultural mission continues, adapted to the needs of the Puerto Rican today's society, but with the same commitment maintaining the ethical, aesthetic and humanistic values free of racial, political or religious discrimination.

Its location, near the school of fine arts, and headquarters of the Instituto de Cultura Puertorriqueña, helps teachers and students enjoy frequent cultural events (conferences, exhibitions, concerts) that are carried out in the area. Also closely located are, the Museum of the Americas, the Museum of art and history of San Juan the Museum of Puerto Rican Indian, the Museo Pablo Casals and pharmacy, as well as several art galleries. Relatively near the Center are the Municipal Tapia theater, the Museum of fine arts, and the Casa del Libro, continuous artistic centers. Finally, out of the city’s walled enclosure, but within the same isleta de San Juan, the Puerto Rican Ateneo, the Carnegie Library, the library of the legislative chambers, the library of the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico, and finally, the building which is the headquarters of file and the General library of Puerto Rico.