San German — Puerto Rico Historic Buildings Drawings Society

Antigua Casa Alcaldía de San Germán

Old City Hall
1844 - 1989
San Germán, Puerto Rico

City Hall or “casa alcaldía” accompanied the ancient villa on its various locations until it was set definitely on the slopes of Santa Marta in 1573, being its first mayor Rodrigo Ortiz Velez. As a rule the “cabildo” was always front or close to the spiritual power of the Church and because of that fact one can deduct that the City Hall must have been somewhere where today is the Plaza de Recreo Francisco Mariano Quiñones. On the 19th century the City Hall found its home on the “Hospital de la Concesión” grounds. From the 1930s to the 50s of the 19th century, the municipal authorities recognized the state of deterioration of the buildings around the urban area, which were very limited.

On February 7, 1831, the “cabildo” understood the need to build a new City Hall, the previous era of wood. Three years later, the amount of 4,000 pesos was allocated to rebuild the town hall which at the same time served as a jail. On November 28, 1836 a new location was selected to build the new City Hall, selecting the place where the Hospital of the Conception was located. On 1838 it was decided the work would be carry out by the contractor Manuel López, commencing the project. During 1841, the project was ahead of schedule, as inspected by Governor Santiago Méndez Vigo. On 1842, the “Casa Alcaldía” was basically finished.

On 1843, Manuel López, contractor dies, and Pascual Bartola continued the work. He had the task of correcting a series of structural failures. The new home City Hall was practically completed on 1844. However, the authorities reported to the contractor that the building lacked a space for distinguished people, for which he proceeded to create. The “cabildo” cil determined to accept the work on May 1844. A tower for the watch had to be built which was installed by Felipe Hecht in the 1858. It is located opposite the plaza Francisco Mariano Quiñones.