Humacao — Puerto Rico Historic Buildings Drawings Society

Antigua Aduana de Humacao

Humacao Customs House (1872)
Calle Marina
Punta Santiago
Humacao, Puerto Rico

Diseñado por Julián Cruellas y Rovira (1871)

Customs Humacao was built in 1872 by the Department of Public Works of the Spanish government in Puerto Rico. Until then, Customs was a wooden building of temporary nature, so the need for a permanent structure in 1865 caused that decided to build the present building to serve as Customs in Punta Santiago.

The originating project was designed by engineer Julian Cruellas and Rovira in 1871. For that period, government projects were designed and built under the supervision of the Royal Engineers Corps. The plans described a building of 25 meters by 25 meters in plan, with a large central storage space or warehouse, surrounded by three sides by offices and official residences. Historical documents show that the original plans were reviewed and changed in some detail by the engineer Evaristo de Churruca. The review included an emphasis on east-west axis by closing entries in the side walls and the addition of a pediment as a parapet on the east facade, recognizing the side facing towards the sea and the main facade of the building. A subsequent rehabilitation project, signed by Pedro Corberos in 1885, replaced the damaged hardwood floors with mortar floors. In 1890, part of the storage area was covered with wood to protect certain perishable goods of soil moisture.

The "United States Customs Houses in Puerto Rico 1898-1931 " document of the National Register of Historic Places U.S. indicates that the Humacao Customs is one of only four ( 4) structures , designed and built under the Spanish rule , which still exist in American territory . It is an important example of the Spanish Government’s interpretation of this type of structure. Customs functioned as visual, architectural and official link between the island and the sea, like other official buildings visually represented the State in this case, the Spanish Crown.

These buildings were also planned to represent "progress" and modernity. During the nineteenth century the Spanish Crown tried to show their presence in the colonies in the sea lanes through the establishment of lighthouses and customs. These structures provided greater security to the maritime trade which stimulated economic development.

The Customs House of Humacao occupies a city lot located at the corner of Marina Street (east), Customs Street (south), Alexander Street (west) and Andreu Isidro Street (north) in Punta Santiago de Humacao sector. It is a structure of traditional whitewashed masonry in Spanish colonial style. The building is organized around a central space and two lateral additional side spaces. The roof over the central space is inclined corrugated zinc and supported on a metal frame. The lateral spaces, surrounds the mentioned space, as a flat roof in "U" shape built in masonry. The gable roof of the central space is built in the typical method of colonial buildings with wooden beams crisscrossed with wooden perpendicular “viguillas” rafters and with thin clay bricks.

The main facade faces east to the Marina waterfront street. The central section of the tripartite composition, projecting slightly forward and has an arc entryway with two arched windows. The continuous parapet assumes greater importance on this center section, which is emphasized with a motion like element. A simple and interrupted or “setback” frame encloses the entire opening, and is also used as a base to a parapet. The parapet, cornice and base are continuous elements repeated all around the structure. The east and west facades have similar tripartite design, the central section of the west facade also slightly projects forward and surmounted by a pediment. The tympanum has an oculus with fixed bars and shutters. Entry doors are the original timber. The north and south facades have seven rectangular warehouses, which combine window and door openings, some of which have been boarded up with cement blocks.

In the courtyard a cistern partially underground made of masonry resembling a raised platform, with brick steps, leading to the brick surface. The tank apparently has been filled with dirt and sand. The historical drawing shows a tank of 4 meters by 8 meters, divided in two bays by a series of segmented arches which rest on square columns. Each bay has a segmented barrel vault.